Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Saris into Thread...Thread into Hope

Be warned, this is a proud Mamma blog post...but I think you will find it interesting and on topic just the same.

My eldest son is about to graduate from Samford University in Birmingham, AL. (Sam not Stan) His team took top honors in the Brock School of Business social entrepreneur business plan competition and they advanced to The Neely School of Business International Social Entrepreneurship competition. You can read about it in the Samford Belltower. They took fourth Place out of 28 teams.


My son is top row, on the left.

The team is in the process of importing their first product, thread made from recycled saris. How cool is that. I can't wait to get my hands on some of their yarn. They have samples in Birmingham but I am all the way over in Augusta. I guess I'll have to wait until graduation in mid-May to run my fingers through the silky goodness. But this is not just about beautiful yarn, it is about improving people's lives.

Now, you may be thinking this is such a wonderful project for a group of business students, but it's not just a project. They have more irons in the fire and plans to help more people escape poverty and earn a fair wage. Please go check out the website for Work of Worth International and read more about the exciting things they are up to.

They are also looking for more boutique needlework/fibre shops to carry this product. If you have any suggestions or requests, please leave me a comment and I'll make sure the info gets to WoW.

Now, for the latest...The team is in another competition. The Regions New Venture Challenge. They have once again advanced to the final round!

Blessings

Sew Fresh Quilts

3 comments:

  1. Incredible, Gayle! You do have every right to be a proud mama! Thanks for sharing the link to WoW. It is nice to know there are people thinking outside the 'box' that is their own world and trying to make a difference for others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am proud but I sure can't take credit. I have been blessed that the Lord put him in my care. He has a willing spirit and a huge heart for the world.

      Delete
  2. I picked your son out before you pointed him out - he has that slightly-leaned-forward-eager-to-meet-you open stance and friendly smile that makes you want to talk with him. What an interesting post and thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete