Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Name

I chose Pedal Sew Lightly because it combines two things I love to do...bike and sew. I know, it has a somewhat "Breakfast at Tiffany's" ring to it but I am not a fan of the movie. I have never viewed the entire movie...just snippets. Kind of unexpected from someone who absolutely loves pre-1970 movies. Unfortunately, I had to give them up when my boys were little because they didn't like them at all and I couldn't convince my husband that they were wonderful so he would watch them in the evening with me. I have missed out on twenty years of black & white and technicolor pleasure.


Biking and sewing have been a part of my life since childhood but I have been pursuing them with more gusto the past few years. My bicycling picked up after I had to give up running due to a major bout with plantar fasciitis that was and is still exacerbated by my apparent mediterranean heritage. My husband and I rode for pleasure in our twenties but I would not describe us as "cyclists" at the time. Then we started our family and I remained an occasional pleasure rider and he went bike crazy. So, it was a natural transition when I quit running to turn to biking. He gave me a beautiful Egyptian Blue Cannondale Synapse for our anniversary and now we enjoy our biking passion together. Well, sort of together...he is much faster than me so we go out together but rarely stay together an entire ride.


Now, just so you don't get the impression that I am some sort of lycra-clad racehorse, here's a photo of me from a charity ride:
As you can see I am just a standard fifty-some year old woman in a homemade tutu.


This is getting long so I will move on to "sew" in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment