Monday, May 5, 2014

Joining "A Lovely Year of Finishes" in May

I have been working on this project for about a year. It is a quilt for my husband and I keep putting it aside to other finish projects with deadlines. My goal was to have it done for him to enjoy last winter but weddings, birthdays and babies kept happily getting in the way. So, I have decided to join Melissa at Sew Bittersweet Design's "Year of Lovely Finishes" to light a fire and get it done this month.

FMQ in Flame pattern. (As you can see my FMQ skills are a work-in-progress)


One of the early projects in my first year of quilting was a lap quilt for our living room. The two guys at home love it but they complain that it is too small. I really can't blame my youngest son, he is six-foot-five! So, a man-size quilt for my husband was put on my short list. I didn't plan a jelly roll quilt but I found a Comma roll at one of our local shops. Shock...our shops tend to run more traditional to cutesy. I settled on a pattern by Sweet Jane.

I ordered some extra yardage for the backing and to expand it to a more man-size proportion. I am on the home-stretch now and am down to just the squaring and binding. The only thing slowing me down at this point is that I am oh so busy at work! And, since we are small business owners work comes home with us. My free time has been starting late so that I have been working on a very old UFO embroidery project instead of this quilt. I have a 9:00pm cut-off for sitting down at the sewing machine and I can't seem to make it.

                          
Finished Top.

Previewing backing design.

Baby Hunter's quilt moving ahead of the Man-Quilt.



                                A Lovely Year of Finishes

No comments:

Post a Comment