Friday, August 22, 2014

Hunter's Quilt

I am finally getting around to sharing more of my pre-blog finishes. Next up is a baby quilt I made for Baby Hunter. This was delivered in early April 2014.

Baby Hunter is the first grandchild of a good friend I met during my home school years. I met this family when I took my boys to a meeting for a new speech and debate class that was being offered. Son #1 was reluctantly (on his part) signed up. Little did we know at the time that this would be a life defining moment in his life. God puts the most wonderful people in your path at unexpected moments. I could write an entire chapter here but I am going to focus on this quilt.


I paused in the process of quilting my Man-Quilt to cut this project. I ordered the Inside Out pattern from Cluck Cluck Sew. I used Bluebird Park by Kate and Birdie which I purchased at one of my local quilt shops, Jeff's Sewing and Vacuum. The background fabric is Kona Snow that I purchased at one of the big box craft/sewing shops in town.


I fell in love with Elmer's School Glue while making this quilt. It made piecing so fast and accurate. A huge bonus was that I could lose my leader fabric since the stiffness of the glue eliminated that initial fabric suck that my machine is so prone to do. I was inspired by this post at Pile O'Fabric.


I chose the Plus version of the pattern but snuck one Inside Out block in the mix. Can you see it? I was inspired by a Pin I found while looking at Plus Quilts on Pinterest. I tracked down the original blog post. It's by Half Time.  I just hit the Follow Button her site looks so cute.


This top went so fast. 


Now for the backing...


I used a left over block some strips and some big chunks to make an adorable scrappy back. I love the bikes. That's what sold me on this collection. See the Hedge Hogs...Hunter's Mom's favorite childhood book was about Holly the Hedgehog. Who knew?


I FMQ'd a square spiral on the Inside Out block,


Straightish lines on the Plus blocks,


And a meandering loop on the body of the quilt. See those Love Birds on the park bench...Hunter's Mom's maiden name includes the word "Bird" so they are a common deco theme for her. I actually made her a throw quilt for her wedding that I will be sharing soon.


See Evora in the background...she gave her approval.

Thanks for visiting!

I linking up with TGIFF at the Devoted Quilter.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome quilt. Love the colors, the inside out block, the meaningful parts of the quilt, and the approving puppy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I love the one negative space plus mixed in with all the others, it is such a nice detail. Thanks for linking with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete