Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Fishing Kit to Sewing Kit Redo & March ALYoF Goal

There won't be much actual sewing in this post so I'll give you a little fabric taste up front.

The Augusta Modern Quilt Guild was fortunate to be part of the Windham Block Challenge for QuiltCon 2015. Sadly, no members were able to attend the conference, though we did have one close call. We did get to catch glimpses of our blocks on display in the Windham booth via Instagram and we also had a quilt in the Charity Challenge. Unfortunately, as a late joiner, I was not involved in the production of that beautiful quilt.

We have extra Windham Challenge fabric and we are passing the basket around again for our own charity quilt. Here is the block I made last week while the basket was in my possession.


I used badskirt's Hack Slash tutorial. It was fun and I'm thinking I'll use it for one of my 2015 baby quilts goals.

Now on to one of my many sewing related projects.

I picked up this crusty tackle box at the same estate sale where I snagged the $25 Featherweight. I thought the price was a little steep but I loved the patina.


It was a bit rough inside but it surprisingly didn't smell at all. I love that the top and bottom are the same size so that it doesn't tip over when it's open. It rests equally on the top and bottom halves. This makes it completely stable unlike many other tackle boxes.


It has been too cold to spray paint even in the garage so I rigged up a spay booth in our guest bath. It has a window, I kept the fan running and I would lift up that plastic bag while I was spraying. It worked quite well.


 First I cleaned, prepped and taped it off so I could spray the inside a bright glossy white.


Next, I sprayed the outside with clear poly to preserve the patina. It was quite delicate.

One thing I really love is the handle. I definitely did not want to cover that up.



A close up of the crunchy exterior. I had to encapsulate some of the grime since I couldn't scrub it hard. No problem, it adds a touch of history.



Now I am filling it up with all things quilty and sewy for my travel kit. I love that I can stick all kinds of magnetic goodies inside. I have plans for a cute and handy pin cushion!

I will be sharing a number of non-fabric sewing projects for the next several posts. Next up I will be the new home I bought for my vintage Singer 15-90 sewing machine. It was another project piece.

I have been sneaking in time sewing as well, so I will be able to temper these posts with a fabric tidbit as well.

A Lovely Year of Finishes March 2015 Goal:

I will leave you with one more fabric related tidbit. I am declaring my 90's WIP as my ALYoF goal for March. It needs to have a couple of lines of failed walking foot quilting picked out and then it will be loaded on my frame to quilt. My goal is to have it bound and donated to the Ronald McDonald House by the end of the month.

Thanks for visiting!

Linking up with:
Mabey She Made It's Do Tell Tuesday
Blossom Heart Quilt's Sew Cute Tuesday
Quilt Story's Fabric Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. That's a fabulous new sewing kit! I love that it sit flat! No more tip-overs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your contribution to the charity quilt. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete